Possum and Penguin 4.0 are ‘the happening thing’ in the SEO world. Every SEO company is supposed to alter their SEO Strategy with respect to Google’s changes, and it isn’t a minuscule task for sure. First of all, you need to figure out which of these updates are impacting the websites you impart SEO services for. Are you supposed to change the local packs only or revamp the back link profile? Or are you supposed to modify the way you write content?
You will get a knack for it as you continue reading this article.
What is Possum?
Google did several changes in the local rankings recently and collectively named it Possum. The naming convention is very much in line with Google’s fascination of using animal names for SEO updates.
According to the details released by Google, the new update won’t penalize the website pages. Rather, it will filter the previous listings. In short, Google has tweaked the local ranking algorithm.
- Now location plays a critical role in ranking. Over the period, Google has become quite confident about the location tracking information. Hence, the search engine results would differ based on the physical location. It is the reason; the listing may disappear if the specific geo-location setting is different.
- Even if the business is situated out of the physical city, it gets a boost in the ranking. For businesses out of the targeted city search, it was very difficult to compete with local listings. Now the situation is different.
- Duplicate name and addresses in local search will also get filtered. Google hates duplicate content. Hence, it removes it from the listing. Earlier it wasn’t applicable to local search.
- You need to do a few things to convince Google about the relevance and uniqueness of your listing. Always provide accurate and unique business information. Also, make use of high-quality videos or images abundantly. It is quite helpful if your customers leave Google reviews. You should list the business in as many local directories as possible. However, don’t forget to validate and proofread the information.
- Experts say that long tail keywords get importance now. Yes, it is very true! Now you will find variation in the local search results by adding or removing words from the search keyword. It is more visible when you use long tail keywords. Just to give you an example, “best Hyderabadi biryani” and “best Hyderabadi biryani in Secunderabad” may get different search results.
Since you know about the changes brought to the local search by Possum, let us reveal a few secrets in SEO listing. If you think that there is no change in the positioning of your website in local search results, then you should be watchful for fluctuations only. In case, the result is omitted by Google; then you should add complete demographic details to localize it well.
What is Penguin 4.0 all about?
Official Google Update Penguin 4.0 is related to all websites, without any exception! You must be thinking that how it is categorically different from the earlier updates? Why is there so much Gung-Ho about it if it is just a Google algorithm update?
Are there any penalty risk factors? If yes, then what is the recovery SEO strategy in case you are penalized?
First of all, let’s find out the answer for a question which is worth dwelling over. Has it been fully rolled out? What does Google say all about it? To your surprise, Google hasn’t said anything about it in the official forum even a month after the roll-out. May be because Penguin 4.0 is a real-time update which means that it is always in an update mode! It will be applied bit by bit as indexes get updated. Therefore, it is suggested that one should have a close eye on the ranking. Watch out for fluctuations.
Is it strikingly different?
You may not realize it, but the difference is quite visible indeed. Now, there is no need of waiting for months to recover from a penalty, in case you get penalized. Since the data update is real-time, you see the change fairly fast. SEO Experts say that the change takes place as soon as Google re-indexes or re-crawls the page.
Forget about site level penalties
You will be surprised to know that Penguin 4.0 is far more granular than its predecessors. So, forget about website level penalties because of one or two pages. Now, you have webpage wise penalties which will not hamper the ranking of the rest of the web.
Is it still hazardous?
Well, the fundamental objective of Penguin 4.0 is to bring discipline and refine SEO ranking further. Therefore, the hazards are similar.
- Paid links or links from so-called ‘spammy’ websites are still under scrutiny.
- Links coming from “topically irrelevant” websites are also on the radar.
- Links from websites created purely for link building.
- Links from an anchor text which is over-optimized.
Your SEO strategy should be to stay careful about penalty risks and run a Penguin Audit frequently
Since Penguin uses several factors to determine spammy links, SEO experts should have a clear idea of it. They should get rid of harmful links. Remember, action as well as recovery both are very fast now! You will be penalized immediately and you can recover with the same speed. Penguin can strike any moment. Therefore, you should be alert always. Look at the ranking regularly. Check the search results by giving random keywords. Tackling the new update is easy. Just make sure your SEO strategy is to strike the nail on the head, that’s it!